MBS Backyard Team of the Year
Want to have your name called as the best Minnesota backyard team? Compete in qualifying contests and see the rules below!
If you are a contest organizer please see the documents at the bottom of the page which describe how to get your contest included for the Minnesota BBQ Society Backyard Team of the Year.
MN BBQ Society Team of the Year (TOY) – Backyard
Any team that wants to compete in the MN BBQ Society Backyard Team of the Year program must adhere to these standards of procedure and scoring.
1. All teams competing in the Backyard TOY program must be a MN BBQ Society member in good standing.
2. There is no cost to participate. All members that compete at a qualifying event will
automatically be included in the program.
3. Competing teams will cook both Chicken and Pork Ribs (or receive a zero score for that category). Additional categories are allowed but will not count towards the TOY program.
4. Only the scores for Chicken and Ribs will count towards the Overall score. Additional categories will be scored separately and will not have weight in the Overall score.
5. Contests must use either the KCBS Official Scoring system or the MN BBQ Society Official scoring system for their contest.
6. Contests must have available room for at least 15 teams to compete. A minimum of 10 teams must compete at the contest for it to qualify towards the Backyard TOY program.
7. A team’s top three scores in each category (and Overall) will be used from any three contests in the Backyard TOY program toward their TOY rank. These scores are independent of each other and do not have to have occurred at the same contest.
8. Points will be given to every team, including last place. Bonus points will be given incrementally based on the number of teams at a given competition, up to 35 bonus points maximum. Below is a summary of the base scoring system for each competition:
1st – 250
2nd – 225
3rd – 200
4th – 175
5th – 150
6th – 140
7th – 130
8th – 120
9th – 110
10th – 100
11th – 95
12th – 90
13th – 85
14th – 80
15th – 75
16th – 70
17th – 65
18th – 60
19th – 55
20th – 50
21st – 45
22nd – 40
23rd – 35
24th – 30
25th and lower – 25
For example, if a team finished in 5 th place at a competition with a total of 30 teams, that team would be awarded 180 total points towards TOY = 150 base points plus a bonus of 30 based on the amount of teams that competed.
9. In the event of a tie for TOY ranking, the score for a team’s fourth contest would be considered the tiebreaker. If a tie continues, the fifth contest would also be factored in, and so on as needed. If a team did not cook a fifth contest, they would not have any points awarded for the tiebreaker.
Interested in having your contest considered for the MBS Backyard Team of the Year?
Check out the documents below and email a signed organizer agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org